Friday 2 January 2009

My First Computer

My first computer was a notebook! I can't remember exactly when I bought it - must have been around 1995/96. However, I can still remember the price - it cost me a bomb (over RM8K) but I had justified the purchase by telling myself that I will use the notebook to increase my efficiency at work as well, since I frequently travelling offsite at the time. It was pretty much the top of the range then. Looking back, that purchase was a mistake. I could have make do with the "slower" office desktops at work then. So I learned a few things about buying computer for myself:
1. Never buy top of the range or the latest and greatest personal computer that is currently on the market unless my current computing needs really worth the price (... or if I have too much spare cash and I don't know what to do with it). Within the next weeks and months my great Acernote 950 was listed at a price that keeps dropping in a hurry. I know ... I shouldn't have checked the price after I purchased it but I did - probably because I knew it was not a wise purchase in the first place.
2. Desktop was and is a still a better option in terms of its value for money. It is always cheaper when comparing the same processor and capacity. The monitor is usually bigger. It also last longer since it has more capacity for upgrades unlike laptops. So, if I don't need my computer for travelling - I'm getting a desktop!

Only after 2 years of use I gave my first laptop to my sister. She made good use of it. I managed to find some pictures of it from my sister's website when it was 7 years old and completely obsolete.







I remembered when I visited my sister at the time, the notebook, in its dire conditions can still boot up and be used ... amazing!
It's just that we didn't have the patience to wait for it to do stuff ...

No comments:

Post a Comment